IATEFL BESIG Maria Keller Scholarship
This scholarship is for a first-time speaker at the Annual IATEFL BESIG Conference
The award is in memory of Maria Keller, who was IATEFL BESIG Treasurer from 1999 to 2002. Maria passed away on 11 May 2007 and her dedication and energy are still missed at IATEFL BESIG events. The scholarship is dedicated to an area that Maria loved, namely helping others to get started in the field. As Maria said in her nomination statement when joining the IATEFL BESIG Committee, ‘I would like to see IATEFL BESIG continuing to thrive and make a difference in our profession. More specifically, I would like to see IATEFL BESIG as the right forum where teachers and trainers entering the profession can share their concerns and activities with one another and where they can also find the necessary support for further development.’
The award consists (per year) of:
- a year’s membership to IATEFL including BESIG
- waived registration for the Annual IATEFL BESIG Conference including the Friday evening reception and the Friday pre-conference seminars
- a lump sum against receipts of up to a total of 700 GBP for travel, accommodation and food.
To qualify you must:
- have been a member of IATEFL BESIG for at least a year
- have participated in IATEFL BESIG (e.g. contributed to the monthly discussion topic on Facebook, written a post for the BESIG World Blog or an article for the newsletter, attended a webinar or online weekend workshop, organised or participated in a local event)
- be willing to give a presentation or lead a workshop on an aspect of teaching Business English at the Annual IATEFL BESIG Conference
- agree to give a brief summary of your work at the IATEFL BESIG Open Forum at the IATEFL BESIG Annual Conference in November
- write a report on your conference experience for Business Issues by 1 December 2016
To be considered you should submit:
- a 250-word summary outlining how you became involved in teaching, why you enjoy it and how you found out about IATEFL BESIG
- a photo for inclusion in the IATEFL BESIG newsletter and on the website
- a short bio of 30 words or less
Please send your scholarship application to firstname.lastname@example.org by 30 June 2016; late submissions will not be considered.
The winner will be informed by 14th July 2016. Other applicants will be contacted around 21st July 2016.
All applicants, including the winner, will be contacted by the IATEFL BESIG Committee whose decision is final.